Goooooood morning internet!
Over this cold yet? I sure am. And it’s not quite done with us yet. Another week to go.
Speaking of cold, I’m going to be frank: I didn’t get much done in February due to the cold. I was shut down, so to speak.
So everything on my to-do list from the last time I spoke to you? Yeah, that’s been pushed back a month. I’m still writing, though, and I will have new chapters up and ready soon! Promise.
In the meantime, though, I want to talk about Pokémon: Sword and Shield.
Join me under the cut!
Over the weekend, Nintendo and Game Freak announced the newest addition to the Pokémon family: Pokémon: Sword and Shield. The first full-fledged mainline games to come to the Switch, and like every other long-time Pokémon fan, I have opinions. Lets start with the starters, shall we?
I have, in every generation, chosen Fire as my starter. Why? Well, to be honest, it started as a kid because red was my favourite colour and the Charmander line was red.
Overtime, though, Fire-type has become my favourite element in the Pokémon series.
Scorbunny will be no exception. So here are my thoughts on Scorbunny:
- He looks like Max from Sam and Max: Freelance Police. While there’s no way Scorbunny will be as… delightfully eccentric as Max, there’s no doubt in my mind he’s a shout-out. As such, I expect Scorbunny to be cheerfully bonkers.
- There’s a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog in him, too. From the emphasis on speed to his cocky demeanour to the fact that he’s a rabbit (a reference to Sonic starting out as a rabbit in early development), Scorbunny is definitely a shout-out to the world’s most way past cool hedgehog.
- So, is he going to be Fire-Fighting? No idea. It’s possible, but remember they pulled a fast one on us with Incineroar back when Generation VII was coming out. So I’m going to refrain from speculating.
- One thing I’ll guarantee you, though: he’s going to be a speedy special attacker.
My sister is the Water-Type trainer in the family, going all the way back to Blastoise. But that doesn’t mean I don’t have thoughts about the newest Water Starter.
- Boy, the Water-Types have just had a bad run of designs for their beginning evolutions, haven’t they? Sobble is another ugly beginning stage starter, but he’ll probably get better looking as he evolves.
- My guess is that Sobble turns into another ninja-style Pokémon, like Greninja. For a couple of reasons:
- One, Greninja is really popular and Game Freak have never had a problem milking a characters popularity.
- Two, he’s a chameleon who can turn invisible. That just screams ‘ninja’
- Three, it ties back into Kalos, which Galar seems to be heavily inspired by to begin with.
- Now, Sobble may not be a true Japanese ninja ala Greninja. He might be more of a DnD-style rogue, instead. But he’ll be something like, I bet.
The mischievous Chimp Pokémon. Not a big Grass-Type fan, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have thoughts on this guy.
- Question: If Grookey is a chimp, why does he have a tail? Answer: Because he’s a Diddy Kong shout-out.
- Speaking of Diddy, Grookey has a thing for drums ala Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.
- Does that mean he’ll evolve into a DK shout-out?
That’s it for this week, guys. I’ll see you next week!